How Ecommerce Works
You've decided to sell your products or services online, now what? You've heard all the jargon, but you're baffled by payment gateways and merchant accounts and the big one, PCI Compliancy!
Don't run away, let us try to explain it to you as simply as possible, or better give us a call at 800-291-6458 and we'll walk you through the process.
- Consumer and You: The consumer visits your ecommerce website and purchases products or services from your site.
- SSL Certificate: Although most of the site is transmitted as is, credit card information MUST be transmitted securely. To accomplish this, you will need to purchase an SSL Certificate. We recommend Comodo security, but there are many more out there. The typical cost is $149.95 for the first year, with an annual renewal of $99.95.
- Payment Gateway: The middle-man that coordinates the credit card information transfer to and from the merchant account processor. We recommend AuthorizeNet, a major payment gateway player. CDM will gladly start the setup process with you and work with you to ensure correct installation on your storefront.
- Merchant Account: A merchant account allows you to accept credit cards and processes the movement of funds. We recommend WorldPay, a leading processor offering very low rates. WorldPay also takes the worry out of PCI Compliancy. CDM will guide you through the process and ensure you have a personal contact.
- Bank Account: The funds are deposited directly into your bank account within a few days.